This charge I entrust to you, Timothy, my child, in accordance with the prophecies previously made about you, that by them you may wage the good warfare, holding faith and a good conscience. By rejecting this, some have made shipwreck of their faith, among whom are Hymenaeus and Alexander, whom I have handed over to Satan that they may learn not to blaspheme.
(1 Timothy 1:18-20 ESV)
What is the charge?
A. instruct certain men not to teach different doctrine that
1) is rooted in myth and endless genealogies (v. 3)
2) promotes speculation (v. 4)
3) does not encourage faith in God (v. 4)
B. charge is carried out with a threefold love
1) from a pure heart (v. 5)
2) good conscience (v. 5)
3) sincere faith (v. 5)
Ways to carry out the Charge
A. wage the good warfare
1) by being faithful
2) doing all with a good conscience
3) exhibiting the three fold love when confronting error
What happens when you don’t wage the good warfare?
A. Shipwreck your faith
1) i.e. Hymenaeus and Alexander