If you put these things before the brothers, you will be a good servant of Christ Jesus, being trained in the words of the faith and of the good doctrine that you have followed. Have nothing to do with irreverent, silly myths. Rather train yourself for godliness; for while bodily training is of some value, godliness is of value in every way, as it holds promise for the present life and also for the life to come. The saying is trustworthy and deserving of full acceptance. For to this end we toil and strive, because we have our hope set on the living God, who is the Savior of all people, especially of those who believe.
Command and teach these things. Let no one despise you for your youth, but set the believers an example in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith, in purity. Until I come, devote yourself to the public reading of Scripture, to exhortation, to teaching. Do not neglect the gift you have, which was given you by prophecy when the council of elders laid their hands on you. Practice these things, immerse yourself in them, so that all may see your progress. Keep a close watch on yourself and on the teaching. Persist in this, for by so doing you will save both yourself and your hearers.
(1 Timothy 4:6-16 ESV)
What attributes describe a good servant of Jesus Christ?
- They always reminded themselves and others of God’s commands
- They are trained in the words of the faith
- They are trained in and follow good doctrine
- They have nothing to do with irreverent or silly myths
- They are trained in godliness
- They evaluate their time and devote the bulk of it to things of eternal value not temporal
- They set their hope on the living God
- They set an example for others
- They have good speech
- They conduct themselves in a godly way
- They set an example by their love
- They set an example by faith
- They are an example in their purity
- They devote themselves to the public reading of Scripture
- They are devoted to godly exhortation
- They are devoted to the teaching of God’s word
- They do not neglect the spiritual gifts that God gives them
- They practice the commands of God
- They immerse themselves in the commands of God
- They are progressing
- They keep watch over themselves so they are not deceived by sin (Hebrews 3)
- They keep watch over others so they are not deceived by sin (Hebrews 3)
So are you a good servant of Jesus Christ?