How would you describe a person who is strong and courageous?
Does your mind immediately run to a person with high self-esteem, confidence, and maybe even someone with big muscles and physical strength? If so, you are probably not alone.
Joshua was told many times to be strong and strong and courageous.He was told by God (Deut 31:23), Moses (Deut 31:7), by God again (Joshua 1:1-9), and then finally by the whole nation Israel (Joshua 1:18)
The question remains, what does it mean to be strong and courageous? Thankfully there are characteristics of such a person given around these commands.
1. Strong and Courageous people get their strength and courage from remembering the promises of God
– “for you shall cause this people to inherit the land that I swore to their fathers to give them” (Joshua 1:6)
– “No man shall be able to stand before you all the days of your life. Just as I was with Moses, so I will be with you. I will not leave you or forsake you.” (Joshua 1:5)
– “Every place that the sole of your foot will tread upon I have given to you, just as I promised to Moses.” (Joshua 1:3)
2. Strong and Courageous people meditate on God’s Word
– “being careful to do according to all the law that Moses my servant commanded you. Do not turn from it to the right hand or to the left, that you may have good success wherever you go.” (Joshua 1:7)
– “This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it.” (Joshua 1:8)
3. Strong and Courageous are not afraid because they trust God
– “Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.” (Joshua 1:9)