“Brothers, do not be children in your thinking. Be infants in evil, but in your thinking be mature.”
(1 Corinthians 14:20 ESV)
Commands (1 Negative and 2 Positive)
- Do not be childish in your thinking (your mind, intellect, thought, understanding)
- Be like an infant in evil (wickedness, depravity, malice, ill-will, desire to injure, wickedness that is not ashamed to break laws, evil, trouble)
- Be mature in your thinking (be prefect, mature, complete, fullness of christian character)
Two other helpful texts:
“so that we may no longer be children, tossed to and fro by the waves and carried about by every wind of doctrine, by human cunning, by craftiness in deceitful schemes.”
(Ephesians 4:14 ESV)
“For though by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to teach you again the basic principles of the oracles of God. You need milk, not solid food, for everyone who lives on milk is unskilled in the word of righteousness, since he is a child.”
(Hebrews 5:12-13 ESV)
- Am I immature in my thinking?
- Am I ignorant of spiritual things?
- Am I well versed in evil things?
- Am I very knowledgeable about non-spiritual things?
- Am I mature in my thinking?
- Am I growing my mind and intellect to be able to swallow deeper truths from God’s Word?