“But they and our fathers acted presumptuously and stiffened their neck and did not obey your commandments. They refused to obey and were not mindful of the wonders that you performed among them, but they stiffened their neck and appointed a leader to return to their slavery in Egypt. But you are a God ready to forgive, gracious and merciful, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love, and did not forsake them. Even when they had made for themselves a golden calf and said, ‘This is your God who brought you up out of Egypt,’ and had committed great blasphemies, you in your great mercies did not forsake them in the wilderness. The pillar of cloud to lead them in the way did not depart from them by day, nor the pillar of fire by night to light for them the way by which they should go. You gave your good Spirit to instruct them and did not withhold your manna from their mouth and gave them water for their thirst. Forty years you sustained them in the wilderness, and they lacked nothing. Their clothes did not wear out and their feet did not swell.
(Nehemiah 9:16-21 ESV)
Ways God Remained Faithful While He Disciplined Israel
- Lead them continually by a pillar of cloud by day and a pillar of fire by night
- He gave His good Spirit to instruct them
- He continually fed them miraculously by giving them manna in the wilderness
- He continually provided water while they were in the wilderness
- He sustained them for 40 years
- They lacked nothing because of God
- Their clothes never wore out, for 40 years!
- Their feet did not swell even though they were in the wilderness walking around, for 40 years
- God’s faithfulness is sure and is not dependent upon ourfaithfulness
- God is always ready to forgive, so go to Him and ask for it
- Praise Him for His faithfulness
- Try to be more like God by forgiving others and being a faithful person
This is a classic example of God’s faithfulness in spite of a faithless people.
“…To begin with, the Jews were entrusted with the oracles of God. What if some were unfaithful? Does their faithlessness nullify the faithfulness of God? By no means! Let God be true though every one were a liar…” (Romans 3:2-4 ESV)
“No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.”
(1 Corinthians 10:13 ESV)